Deb's

Wednesday, May 17, 2006


A Different World

It is my first day back in my hometown, Jakarta, Indonesia. I am still re-adjusting with the lifestyle I have missed for three and a half years. Loma Linda is a world of its own for me, but I consider it as home. Some stuff I can only find in Loma Linda such as :
* people with scrubs
* Hay Stacks meals
* a lot of people go walking for exercise
* easy access to find a variety of vegie meat and other healthy food options
* a quiet town on Saturdays
Living in Jakarta has its own excitements and disappointments. I wonder how long it will take me to adjust. During the first weeks, I am surprised with how much change took place in three years! Some changes that I am still having a hard time to get use to:
* TV is turned on all the time
* Crazy traffic and air polution
* the high inflation on the Indonesian currency that makes everything seems
very expensive
* a huge gap reflected in the lifestyle of the rich and poor
As I expected, my spiritual life will be challenged. It was easier to have the spiritual life blossoms and fruitful in Loma Linda. I can use a lot of prayers from my Christian family in Loma Linda, so that I can maintain all the lessons I learned, and still become an instrument for God's glory in Jakarta. I wish I can bring all of you here and together we carry the light and finish the work here, in the other side of the world.

Love you and miss you all

7 Comments:

  • Debbie,

    We will be praying for you!! We miss you too, but prepare to do some positive work for your country. Don't lose hope or faith, and keep looking to Jesus when you struggle. Also, we will pray for your new liking of coffee :)

    Jason & Janelle

    By Blogger Jason & Janelle Shives, at 9:12 PM  

  • Cutie!!!
    I miss you! Hang in there. I feel similarly challenged over here in Oregon. But you can be sure that wherever you are, God is up to something. He's just not telling what it is yet... that is kind of the way He does things.
    Love you,
    Funny

    By Blogger Larie, at 6:09 PM  

  • Jason.. and all you think that I begin to like coffee.. hahahhaa..

    The picture was taken to show that we do have an American brand in Jakarta. I did not take a picture at Starbucks yet.. Just to show how much American's life style some Indonesians want to take.

    By Blogger Deb's, at 4:13 AM  

  • We love you and miss you Debbie! Bible study isn't the same without you. We are all praying for you in your new life.

    love,
    Stephanie

    By Blogger Stephanie, at 10:57 PM  

  • Debbie, heard about the tragic earthquake in Indonesia. Glad to hear that you were not affected. I pray that God will continue to protect and bless you.

    By Blogger Tim, at 9:24 AM  

  • Hi Debbie,

    I can only echo what everyone above said. I really miss you!

    God bless!

    Rachel

    By Blogger Rachel and Eric Nelson, at 6:02 PM  

  • whats up boss?
    kpl

    By Blogger limkenfl, at 10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home